Thursday, 11 August 2011

My Fix!

I'm off to bed in a minute, and then out the door bright and early tomorrow for camping.  CAN'T WAIT!  Before I go, I just wanted to tell you about one thing.

In an effort to see if it would help my situation, I cut out caffeine for 2 weeks.  Caffeine is known to contribute to PMS symptoms, and in fact for some women, once they quit caffeine, their symptoms totally disappear.  This was back in April or May.  The withdrawal was simply dreadful!  I was sitting at work thinking I was so tired I would probably just stop breathing.  If you've tried to quit coffee, then you know exactly what I'm talking about.  I was more drowsy and tired than I've ever been in my life.  Well, it seemed that those 2 weeks of no caffeine really helped my cycle.  I had very few PMS symptoms that month.  And as for caffeine, once you get over the first 4-5 days, your energy really levels out, and you actually feel great and sleep like a baby.

After 2 weeks I decided to go back to coffee - by that point I wasn't really addicted anymore, but I really missed the taste.  I made myself a coffee, started drinking it, and within an hour or so I felt insane!  I was so shaky, anxious, hyper, and frazzled, and it lasted for 8 hours.  I decided that I didn't want caffeine any more, and have never turned back.  I started drinking decaf instead, because I really just love the taste of coffee.

3 weeks ago I decided to quit even decaf, to see if the trace amounts of caffeine are affecting my symptoms.  I can't tell you how much I miss it!  My god, coffee is amazing!  My morning just wasn't complete without a decaf Americano.  I've been drinking herbal tea in the morning, and it's just not the same at all.

Well, I think I've found a way to get my fix.  My boyfriend's parents used to serve something called Teeccino (http://teeccino.com/) after dinner.  


Teeccino Caffeine-free Herbal Coffee is a blend of herbs, grains, fruits and nuts that are roasted and ground to brew and taste just like coffee.  There are seemingly dozens of flavours.  Teeccino does have barley in it, so you would think it is not gluten free.  Their website addresses the question as follows:
"Although Teeccino contains barley, an independent laboratory at the University of Nebraska that specializes in gluten testing found no detectable levels of gluten in brewed Teeccino. Although gluten is present in barley, it most likely does not extract out of the barley using conventional coffee brewing techniques. Gluten is not extracted by boiling water although it can be extracted using ethanol alcohol, which of course is not present in Teeccino. Click here to see Gluten testing results.

For gluten sensitive customers, we highly recommend using a paper filter in a drip coffee maker to brew Teeccino so that no particles of Teeccino can leak into the brewed liquid. Teeccino Tee-bags are also perfect for gluten-sensitive customers because the Teeccino grounds are enclosed completely in the tea bag filter paper. Since ingesting small particles of Teeccino grounds could cause a reaction to gluten, we don't recommend reusable filters since they are not as completely reliable as paper filters in preventing particles from going through the filter during brewing. Read more about how to keep Teeccino gluten free."
I think I can live with that answer.  I picked some up tonight, and tried it out, and I was in heaven!  I'm so happy that now I can get my flavour fix without any caffeine.  Plus, I won't feel left out while all my camping buddies enjoy their morning brew this weekend.  I highly recommend you track this stuff down, if you're living caffeine free but really miss the flavour of coffee.

Off I go finally, thanks for reading!  Once again, have a great weekend, whatever you're up to! :)

2 comments:

  1. this is awesome news! Every time I quit coffee I go back to it because, just like you, I so miss the taste. And I also agree that trying to replace coffee with herbal teas or Yerba Mate (still has caffeine in it but much less) is just not the same. I think the Big Carrot carries this stuff so I might have to go down there to pick some up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad this could help you! It has really made my day. You can buy it in Tee-bags apparently, but I just ended up buying the ground "coffee" and using my own T-bags that I bought ages ago for loose herbal tea. Works great, and the ground coffee is definitely cheaper than the teebags. Thanks for reading, X!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis