Sunday, 13 November 2011

Gluten-Free & Paleo Coconut Pancakes

Good Morning! :)  How are you on this gray looking Sunday morning?  I've been away from my blog for more than a week, with laryngitis and a touch of writer's block.  I somehow still managed to get to the gym a couple times over the week.  I'm glad that I seem to really have a routine I like there, after years of struggling to truly enjoy exercise without getting bored.  

Yesterday I went to a fun cooking seminar called 'Recipe for Hormone Balance' held by Julie Daniluk, who is a local nutritionist with a television show, and a book coming out in December.  I learned a lot about eating for hormone balance, and enjoyed some delicious food, some of which I've never tried before -- I hope to do a blog post about it this week.  She has another seminar coming up on January 21, 2012, called 'Recipe for Healing Inflammation.'  She offered a half-off deal to those of us at the seminar, so I got in touch with my mom on the spot to see if she would like to come with me.  My mom has been dealing with inflammation and pain for a couple decades now, and I'm pretty sure she can learn a lot from this seminar.  Thankfully, she's excited about the idea, so we're all signed up.

In addition to all I learned yesterday, the delicious food, and the goodie bag I left with, I also walked away with some possible career inspiration.  I'm checking into the Registered Holistic Nutritionist program at the Canadian School of Natural Nutrition, which is a one or two year program, depending on whether you want to go full or part time.  This means I could continue to work while going to school, which means it could actually work with my life.  And I can afford it!  So I'm looking into the program, and the field itself, and I'm signed up to attend an open house in January, 2012.  A career change is definitely on my mind, something I am really passionate about.  So yes, I'm kind of excited about the idea!

We just finished breakfast over here, and I am pleased to report that you don't have to give up pancakes if you're trying to eat a gluten-free, dairy-free and/or paleo diet.  In addition, if you love coconut like I do, have I got a recipe for you!

I'll also include a second great recipe for gluten-free pancakes that I've made for family and friends, who have said they are just as good as any pancakes they've had, minus that full, doughy feeling that comes with eating gluten.  I agree.

Gluten-Free & Paleo Coconut Pancakes



Ingredients:
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 can coconut milk (200 ml)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 tbsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tbsp raw organic honey
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp coconut flour
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut

Beat the eggs until they're frothy.  Mix the remaining ingredients together.  Cook on a griddle on low-medium heat (we put the heat just under 4).  When you pour the batter, try to keep the pancakes small.  If they're difficult to flip, cooking them a bit longer.  Recipe makes 12 medium pancakes, perfect for 2!


Gluten-Free Pancakes

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup rice flour
  • 3 tbsp tapioca flour/starch
  • 1/3 cup potato starch (NOT flour)
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
  • 2 tbsp sugar (give coconut/palm sugar a try!)
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • milk/water until desired thickness/runniness - I really love to use almond milk here
In a bowl, mix or sift together the rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and xanthan gum.  Stir in eggs, water, and oil until well blended and few lumps remain.

Heat a large, well oiled griddle or skillet over medium-high heat.  Spoon the batter onto the skillet and cook until bubbles begin to form.  Flip, and continue cooking until golden brown on the bottom.  Serve immediately with condiments of your choice.

Enjoy your pancakes, and have a great Sunday!!! :)

~C.

Please share this post!
↓  ↓  ↓  ↓  ↓  ↓ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis