Monday, 28 November 2011

Recipe: Winter Beef Stew

It's almost December!!!!  I'm getting super excited for Christmas already.  The past year or two, I haven't found myself into the festive spirit until just a week or two before Christmas.  This year is different.  I'm excited already!  I haven't really had any vacation time this year, nothing more than a long weekend.  But this year I've got more than a week off at Christmas, and I want to make the most out of that time, and the entire month.  I've been listening to x-mas music for 4 days already, I've got my Christmas cards bought and ready to write, my nieces' and nephews' gifts are sitting in the corner waiting to be wrapped, I'm coming up with a festive menu for a holiday dinner with friends in a couple weeks, and I'm totally excited about Christmas baking.  It's time to watch x-mas movies soon.  Oh, and we're putting up our tree next weekend, and I kinda can't wait for it to snow!




Sorry if I'm making you a little sick :)

Onto dinner.  Okay, it may not seem like such a big deal to you, but I've never made beef stew before, and I finally did!  It wasn't really that hard, there was just a lot of chopping involved.  But it was just so good that I had to take a picture of it and share the recipe I used.  The parsnips and turnips lend a sweet taste that really compliments the savoury beef and herbs.  It was just so perfect to have for dinner on this chilly, almost winter's night.  If you've ever hesitated to try making beef stew like I have, I really encourage you to just make it!

BEEF STEW



Ingredients
  • 1 lb stewing beef (grass fed, if possible)
  • 1/2 to 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • 4 cups beef stock
  • 1 cup onion, chopped
  • 1 cup celery, chopped
  • 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 2 large parsnips, peeled and chopped
  • 1 purple turnip, cubed
  • 5 tomatoes, chopped
  • 5-6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 2 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
  • 2 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
  • sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste 

Directions
  1. Put the coconut oil in a large pot over medium-high heat, toss in the onions, celery, carrots, parsnips, turnips, garlic.  Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
  2. Add the beef to the saucepan, followed by the tomatoes, beef stock, rosemary and thyme.  Season with salt and pepper.
  3. Cover the saucepan and cook for about one hour, allowing the stew to simmer, stirring occasionally.
  4. Remove the lid and cook uncovered for about 45 minutes.  If the stew is too thick at the end of the cooking process, you can add a little bit of water or stock.
Please share this post! :)
↓  ↓  ↓  ↓  ↓  ↓ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis